It has been hot, hot, hot in my neck of the woods lately! We reached above 100 degrees several times last week. I prefer to stay in doors in my nice air conditioned home whenever possible during heat waves.
Being pregnant and dealing with this type of heat would not be fun! It’s bad enough just dealing with hot weather, but add the added weight and body changes that occur during pregnancy and you are probably feeling pretty miserable!
So if you are pregnant, especially in your third trimester, I hope you are staying cool! Here are a few tips to help you beat the summer heat when you’re sweating for two!
- Limit your outdoor activities to cooler parts of the day – typically early morning and evening are the coolest times of the day. If you have to be outdoors for an extended period of time, do not sit in the direct sunlight.
- Avoid dark clothing made of spandex material. Try loose light or pastel colors made of natural fibers instead; they won’t soak up the sun’s heat rays as much as dark clothing.
- Don’t leave home without your water bottle! Drink lots of water so you don’t get dehydrated.
- Take a cool shower or bath if you feel overly hot and need to cool down quickly. If you do not have time for a shower or bath, try placing a cool, damp cloth on the back of your neck to help you cool down.
- Do your walking or exercising in a cool air conditioned area.
- Heat can zap your energy so if you’ve been outdoors for awhile, put your feet up and take a nap.
Overheating isn’t just bad for you. It can be bad for your baby as well so take extra precautions during the summer heat to protect not only your own health but your baby’s!
Stay Safe in the Sun